We are committed to improving the health, well-being, socioeconomic status, recognition and respect of carers through influencing public and social policy.
Policy or systemic advocacy is a means of informing and influencing legislation, the policies and practices of government, the statutory and non-statutory service sector and the broader community through various forms of persuasive communications including representations, submissions and media campaigns.
Carers Queensland will:
- Consult with carers on all key strategic issues
- Persistently and faithfully advocate with and for carers
- Pursue opportunities to represent the issues, needs and aspirations of carers to Federal and State governments, policy makers, statutory and non-statutory service providers and the broader community
- Lobby Federal and State governments for improvement in the recognition of and respect for carers
- Analyse new and amended Federal and State legislation regarding any potential impact on carers and for those they care
- Deal fairly with the people and organisations we seek to influence
- Work collaboratively with key partners and other organisations who also seek to raise the issues, needs and aspirations of carers and for those they care.
As well as working with government and agencies in Queensland, Carers Queensland contributes to university research and national submissions prepared by Carers Australia and the Network of Carer Associations. We also advocate on national issues that are of particular importance to caring families in our State.
Carers Queensland Submission to TSS: Submission to the Queensland Taxi Subsidy Scheme Review Panel, January 2013
Submission to the Health and Community Services Committee – Queensland Mental Health Commission Bill 2012, January 2013
Submission to the Council of Australian Governments – National Disability Insurance Scheme Regulation Impact Statement, January 2013
Submission to the Senate Standing Committee on Community Affairs ‐ National Disability Insurance Scheme Bill 2012
Submission to National Disability Insurance Scheme Secretariat – National Disability Insurance Scheme Rules, March 2013
Health and Community Services Committee ‐ Inquiry into palliative care services and home and community care services in Queensland, August 2012
Submission to the National LGBTI Ageing and Aged Care Strategy, October 2012.
Recommended amendments to the Fair Work Amendment (Better Work/Life Balance) Bill 2012. Submission prepared by Carers Queensland, February 2012.
Pre-budget submission: Carers Queensland has made a number of recommendations that will advance the recognition and rights of carers and seek to secure funding for carer specific services.
Queensland Mental Health Commission Advisory Committee: Carers Queensland supports the recommendation of the Advisory Committee to champion the concerns of carers of mental with mental health problems